Go to: WVa-USA.com - Home Page

 
West Virginia Railroads - History, photos, news and links! - Click here!

Home \ History \ Historic Mount Hope
The Town of Macdonald

Macdonald was the name given to a "company town" located on an 830 acre tract of coal land leased from Thomas G. McKell to the Macdonald Colliery Company. The town was named after the owner of the mining operation, Symington Macdonald.

The Macdonald Colliery Company Store, circa 1906
The Macdonald Colliery Company Store, circa 1906
Click to view enlarged

The mining company's tipple was located on the hillside near the present-day site of the Mount Hope High School. Symington Macdonald took an active role in the local community. In 1897, Macdonald helped form the Macdonald Presbyterian Church, a church that later relocated to Mt. Hope, becoming the Mt. Hope Presbyterian Church in 1915. He also established a school in Macdonald during the late 1800's, for the benefit of the families employed by his mining company.

Tipple of the Macdonald Coal & Coke Company, circa 1906
Tipple of the Macdonald Coal & Coke Company, circa 1906
Click to view enlarged

Just prior to the Fire of 1910, which destroyed most of Mount Hope, a local real estate firm, the Warner Company, began selling a number of lots between Mount Hope and MacDonald. This residential area became locally known as Warnertown. During the next few years the three communities developed rapidly, to the point where the three towns were functioning as one contiguous community. As a result, Mount Hope annexed most of MacDonald and all of Warnertown in 1915.

Visit WVExp.com to read more about the town of Macdonald, West Virginia.

 

Top of Page

 

Copyright 1999-2001 by WVa-USA.com - All Rights Reserved